Good morning everyone.
Wow... what a week we are having.
It all started on Saturday night when Silas got a fever. He had it all day Sunday and on Monday morning it was gone.
In the mean time I decided that I should take him to the Health Unit to get a second opinion on his slow growth. I had charted him out and he has gone from the 110th percentile down to the 20th percentile. He only weighs 13 pounds right now and had only gained 5 oz. in 6 weeks. My doctor waved it off without even checking him over or measuring him.
The public health nurses were quite concerned on Monday when I went in and we were going to get in with the nutritionalist and they were trying to figure out how to get him in to a pediatrician. So, I quickly switched to formula because I figured it was a milk problem like with Mycah.
In the meantime, Tuesday night Silas woke up with a fever again and he was very irritable. He would cry out everytime you picked him up. So, at one in the morning I was off to Emergency. The doctor ordered chest x-rays, urine, and blood work. They jabbed him a couple times with no success so they cancelled that and just did the urine and x-rays. The urine came back with a significant amount of white blood cells suggestive of a bladder infection. Since the doctor couldn't be sure, he referred him to a pediatrician for the next morning.
So now we did have an appointment. I went in to Dr. Harries and she also did not like his slow growth. She was extremely thorough and ordered extensive bloodwork. She still didn't know if he had a bladder infection because the urine culture had not come back yet. So she put him on antibiotics and put me on domperidone to increase milk production, insisting that I get some rest and leave the house work alone (as if). I was back to breastfeeding.
So off we went to the lab again, this time with Roy so he could hold Silas, because by this point I couldn't do that to him again.
Then I went home and looked into our health and travel insurance for our trip to Holland to see what could be done if we were to travel or stay home. Turns out that because he got this (whatever it is) within seven days of leaving, he won't be covered in Holland for anything relating to it. Which is a scary thought, so at this point we still are not sure if we are going.
So yesterday(Thursday) I got a phone call from Dr. Harries asking me if Silas was lethargic because his blood work indicated his sodium levels were quite low (I don't think he is). She ordered a repeat of the test in case it was a lab error and now we are waiting to find out the results. So this time Mom came and took him to the lab. Three more pokes later they had some blood and sent him home with the baggy stuck down there to try and catch some more urine.
Did I mention I got my wisdom tooth pulled in the middle of this day also? And went to the dentist on Tuesday and Wednesday too? Oh and then Roy went to the dentist also and when he got home he still had to bring this urine to the lab.
In the midst of this I am trying to get ready to leave for Holland in five days, just in case we still go. His urine culture from the other night in Emerg is also supposed to come today so I don't know what today will bring (not that we ever do). His thyroid, iron, liver function, etc. should be back today or Monday.

So yeah, some prayers would be great and I'll update this if anything changes. By the way, Silas is feeling pretty good this morning as you can see from the tub picture.
Wow... what a week we are having.
It all started on Saturday night when Silas got a fever. He had it all day Sunday and on Monday morning it was gone.
In the mean time I decided that I should take him to the Health Unit to get a second opinion on his slow growth. I had charted him out and he has gone from the 110th percentile down to the 20th percentile. He only weighs 13 pounds right now and had only gained 5 oz. in 6 weeks. My doctor waved it off without even checking him over or measuring him.
The public health nurses were quite concerned on Monday when I went in and we were going to get in with the nutritionalist and they were trying to figure out how to get him in to a pediatrician. So, I quickly switched to formula because I figured it was a milk problem like with Mycah.
In the meantime, Tuesday night Silas woke up with a fever again and he was very irritable. He would cry out everytime you picked him up. So, at one in the morning I was off to Emergency. The doctor ordered chest x-rays, urine, and blood work. They jabbed him a couple times with no success so they cancelled that and just did the urine and x-rays. The urine came back with a significant amount of white blood cells suggestive of a bladder infection. Since the doctor couldn't be sure, he referred him to a pediatrician for the next morning.
So now we did have an appointment. I went in to Dr. Harries and she also did not like his slow growth. She was extremely thorough and ordered extensive bloodwork. She still didn't know if he had a bladder infection because the urine culture had not come back yet. So she put him on antibiotics and put me on domperidone to increase milk production, insisting that I get some rest and leave the house work alone (as if). I was back to breastfeeding.
So off we went to the lab again, this time with Roy so he could hold Silas, because by this point I couldn't do that to him again.
Then I went home and looked into our health and travel insurance for our trip to Holland to see what could be done if we were to travel or stay home. Turns out that because he got this (whatever it is) within seven days of leaving, he won't be covered in Holland for anything relating to it. Which is a scary thought, so at this point we still are not sure if we are going.
So yesterday(Thursday) I got a phone call from Dr. Harries asking me if Silas was lethargic because his blood work indicated his sodium levels were quite low (I don't think he is). She ordered a repeat of the test in case it was a lab error and now we are waiting to find out the results. So this time Mom came and took him to the lab. Three more pokes later they had some blood and sent him home with the baggy stuck down there to try and catch some more urine.
Did I mention I got my wisdom tooth pulled in the middle of this day also? And went to the dentist on Tuesday and Wednesday too? Oh and then Roy went to the dentist also and when he got home he still had to bring this urine to the lab.
In the midst of this I am trying to get ready to leave for Holland in five days, just in case we still go. His urine culture from the other night in Emerg is also supposed to come today so I don't know what today will bring (not that we ever do). His thyroid, iron, liver function, etc. should be back today or Monday.
So yeah, some prayers would be great and I'll update this if anything changes. By the way, Silas is feeling pretty good this morning as you can see from the tub picture.

Wow Steph! What a week you have had.
ReplyDeleteWe will definitely keep Silas in our prayers.
wij leven en bidden met jullie mee, het gebed vermag veel.
ReplyDeleteHeel veel sterkte Stephanie en Roy.en fijn je de ouders in de buurt wonen en Kunnen jullie bij staan, is dat een geruststelling voor ons
groetjes Holland. pa [opa] ma [oma]
Hi Broertje and Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteWat een toestand.. Ik hoop dat alles goed komt met die kleine en ik wens jullie sterkte! Zo'n klein schepseltje gaat voor alles en lukt de reis dit keer niet dan een andere keer toch! Heel veel liefs Debby
Hoi Roy en Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteJeetje wat een gebeuren allemaal met de kleine man!!
We denken aan jullie en zijn in gedachten bij jullie!
Heel veel sterkte met de kleine man.
Liefs en knuffels, Barry, Petula, Danilo, Gianni en Luca
Dear Roy and Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteWe will keep praing for Silas and you all.
Hopefully he will be oke very soon.
Miracles are still happening, He is all mighty!!
Liefs, Stephan, Tanja, Ellen, Kim en Youri