Caleb thought having his parents to himself was the greatest thing, till the canoe ride took too long...then he was bored. We meandered through this gorgeous nature reserve for an hour and a half.
We pictured a nice little walk to the waterfall once we beached our canoes and had lunch. Turns out the sign said 2.9 kms and then written onto the sign with marker were these words, " Trail is in VERY bad shape."
I guess by that they meant the stairs were rotted and wobbly, the trail flooded and muddy and slippery, and all around not kept up. I loved it. Caleb toughed through it with Daddy grabbing him a few times when he almost slid down embankments and lifted him over fallen trees and such like.
He had in one hand a dollar store noise maker, which was his self-proclaimed bear scarer and in the other a fistful of moss he had collected. He refused to leave either behind so this made climbing rather interesting. He was sure we were in a jungle!
The waterfall was stunningly powerful and well worth the hike.
Caleb didn't make it more than a quarter of the way back though so Roy carried him a few kilometers on his shoulders. Looked painful to me.
Caleb had a much better canoe ride back because by that time I wasn't quite as paranoid that the canoe would tip, so I let him paddle too.

You're a Canadian and never had canoed before? And why do you think the rest of the world has given the boat the name "A Canadian Canoe"? It's about the same when Roy (as Dutch) would have never walked on wooden shoes... Very nice picture's. I can understand that you were a bit paranoid, a have the same when we did canoe lastyear in France on the river Loire. But mostly I am right to be paranoid when Youri is doing somethning, two years ago he had climb a tree, fall of and broke his arm. By the way: such things only happen when I am not arround, because Tanja alowes such things and I don't....
ReplyDelete